Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Straight vs. Nappy...


Well I personally think that my nappy hair is beautiful.
I've had it that way for years. I must admit that it CERTAINLY
is time consuming to maintain, but then I again I never really
maintained it anyway!! LOL I just let it grow. However, I'm amazed
to see how people react to African American women's hair texture.
For example, when I was wearing my hair natural I once had this
African man approach me, wait a minute, it's more like he HONED in on me and began to strike up a conversation. I don't really remember everything that he said, but one thing that did stick out to me is that he said in his African accent "you are a strong woman, I love strong woman they are beautiful!" It was a compliment I thought or I guessed, however at the same time I couldn't help thinking that why didn't I get compliments like that from African American men?? Did my hair mean something?? It must've! Men must relate certain things to the way a womans hair looks. I feel like India Irie ( *Sings* I AM NOT MY HAIR)I've noticed that when my hair was straight I would get approached more from men as opposed to men when my hair was natural. This is just a thought that I had. *Sings* "I am not my hair"

No comments: